Thursday 23 June 2011

Anxious days

I really needed to write yesterday but couldn't find the time to do it.

Yesterday was a tough day for me. Baby has been teething for about 3 weeks so that has basically meant long days of whinginess, bad sleeping and a very clingy boy. Yesterday I was really tired as he has been waking lots with a sore tooth and TMI upset stomach, and I was trying to get ready to go for a walk to the chemist to get a prescription I really needed. Baby had been grizzling and screaming all morning and would literally not let me leave his sight, but I couldn't find my prescription form so I was running around the house searching everywhere trying to find it all the while he was screaming in his pram and nothing would stop him. I was getting more and more flustered and panicky trying to find this prescription and ended up getting grumpy at him and feeling like I couldn't cope with this anymore. So I rang my Mum and she came and got us and took us over to her place, and we chilled for the afternoon there and N had a sleep. I don't know why I get so panicky sometimes. It all just feels a bit much, when I'm tired, stressed, sick of listening to grizzling... and then I feel like the worst mother in the world who can't cope. Which is silly, as much of the time I can and do cope. It's just every now and then, when Im vulnerable, it gets on top of me. I hate days when Im at home by myself and he gets like that. I start to panic that I won't be able to get him to sleep, that he won't stop grizzling, etc, I can only assume it must be because it takes me right back to those early days when he screamed and screamed and I couldn't help. These days I know exactly what to do, better than anyone else can do it, and I know I can always make him feel better- but that silly fear and anxiety remains. I really feel like Im always climbing up a hill with this anxiety, and I never get to the top, I just keep climbing and climbing, getting better and further, then I fall back a bit, then I climb a little more..... I hope I find my way to the top of the hill soon.

I cancelled my counselling this week as N was really upset and grumbly that day and I didn't feel right leaving him, as he only really wanted to be cuddled by me. Which I'm fine about but it means I didn't get to vent all these feelings this week, so I am venting them here instead. It's good to get them out somewhere.

I hope next blog I can tell you that pesky tooth is finally through!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I have found the weeks I've not had counselling, I've had more trouble coping. It just helps knowing that even if you are having a crap week, you do at least have someone to go to and have a good old vent.

    Yeah with the anxiety, I feel like, oh no, not back to this again! Not back to this not coping. This is not supposed to be happening.

    Glad to hear going to your mums helped. Wish my mum was in NZ. She's in Australia :-(

    Clinginess is hard aye. Especially when you are tired. It's very stressful and you feel like you can't do anything without the baby attached to you.

    BIG HUGS.

    ReplyDelete